The Morrison government won't back recommended changes to copyright laws and tax-free donations for journalism.
A digital platforms inquiry in July recommended the communications watchdog be given the power to take down stolen news content from the internet.
It also recommended the government allow tax-deductible donations to not-for-profits that fund public interest journalism.
But on Thursday the government ruled out meeting these two recommendations, while supporting the majority of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's findings.
It said it would review the copyright enforcement decision by the end of next year, giving it time to consult with stakeholders and see if existing copyright laws were up to the job.
When it came to tax subsidies, the government said it was focusing on implementing previously introduced changes to the charity ombudsman.
"There are a number of existing ways in which organisations that produce public interest journalism can seek deductible gift recipient status," the formal response from the government said.
Seven West Media boss James Warburton said he was disappointed the government hadn't pursued take-down notices.
"We look forward to working with the government ... to ensure a regulatory environment that is appropriate in the digital age," Mr Warburton said.
But the Communications Alliance, a telecommunications lobby group representing companies like Google and Facebook, welcomed the lack of take-down notices.
It previously expressed concern that such a regime could actually force companies to bury news content in search results as it tried to stop offending material showing up online.